Landscaping projects can seem overwhelming. Which plants should I choose? How do I want my beds laid out? What should I keep and what should I toss?
Like any project, dividing it up into smaller parts will make your task easier. Here are some tips to take on you yard!
- DON’T start without a plan. Selecting plants that “look pretty” can lead to a haphazard accumulation of plants.
- DO think long term. Keep in mind that plants, especially trees, grow. Always consider the mature size of a plant (10 years at the minimum) before planting.
- DON’T be afraid to pull out overgrown shrubs and trees. Overgrown plants crowd a house, obscure views from windows, and invite home maintenance problems like wood rot and insects.
- DO decide where to spend your money. Buying the smaller size of fast growing plants let’s you spend more on larger, slower growing plants.
- DON’T always think straight. Although a straight line is the quickest way from point A to point B, they do not leave much to the imagination. Curved walks and beds slow down the eye and add interest.
- DO think curb appeal. With the increased popularity of outdoor rooms, the backyard is getting a lot of attention lately – but it’s the front yard everyone sees. Money spent on curb appeal is a good investment.
- DON’T create a monster. A spectacular landscape is a beauty to behold, but beware, that dream garden can turn nightmarish. Definitely assess how much time you are willing to put into maintenance prior to planting.
- DO plan for low maintenance. Like most of us, time is limited, so create a landscape that meets your time requirements.
- DON’T think in ones. A single plant can easily get lost in the garden. Think in multiples – preferably odd numbers. Creating swaths of color increases visual impact and reduces maintenance.
- DO stay ahead of the weeds. Letting weeds go to seed spells trouble in any garden. Take a little time each week to pull weeds that have popped up – it will pay off in the long term.
Why Do You Want JD Organic Landscape
We aim to provide a great landscaping and lawn care experience. We understand how important your lawn and landscape is to you. Call your nearby landscape company!